More proof that everyone is on high alert for fires right now.
Vernon deputy fire chief Scott Hemstad says their crews got called to the Okanagan Landing area this afternoon on a possible sighting of smoke.
“It turns out it wasn’t a fire. We had a report of smoke, and it turned out it was somebody doing some clearing, like weed whacking activity. They thought it was smoke, but it was really just dust in the air,” Hemstad tells Kiss FM.
Vernon crews also attended an apartment fire in the 2300 block of 36th Street at Birchland Gardens Friday morning.
A female occupant called for help when she smelled smoke.
Deputy chief Hemstad says it was accidental.
“It originated under the floor in the kitchen area. That space is basically a dryer vent.”
Hemstad says they had to pull out the floor of the kitchen and some cabinets to get at the source.
“It was not suspicious. It was an accidental start,” adds Hemstad.
With no kitchen, Hemstad says the family has been put in contact with Emergency Social Services in case they need assistance.
Photo: Vernon Fire Rescue responds to fire at apartment on 36 Street Friday morning (Pete McIntyre)