A Vernon resident learned the hazards of leaving a pot on the stove with cooking oil.
That led to black smoke billowing out of an apartment in the Turtle Mountain area just after 10 am Thursday morning.
“They found heavy black sooty smoke coming from one of the suites, and as they approach the apartment the occupants was coming out of the suite and headed back in,” says fire chief David Lind.
Lind says the occupant put it out using baking soda, and was venting the smoke with a fan.
The resident suffered minor smoke inhalation.
Lind says the home had smoke damage.
“Damage was contained to the pot on the stove and then some soot within the apartment, so probably within $5,000 to $8.000 damage,” Lind tells Kiss FM.
Lind says a firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation.
“He had got into the apartment to follow the resident as he went back in because he wasn’t sure what there was there, and before he had a chance to put a mask on. But he was seen in the hospital and released,” adds Lind.