Vernon fire fighters were called out a few times this weekend for carbon monoxide alarms.
One serious case occurred at a home in the 4200 block of Alexis Park drive.
Deputy Fire Chief Scott Hemstad says there crews did carbon monoxide was detected.
“And there was elevated levels which were traced back to one of the gas-fired appliances in the house. The residents were evacuated and they were assessed for any medical conditions and then the gas appliance was shut down until it could get assessed by a repair person.”
People and pets in the home were checked out and did not suffer any illness due to the leak.
Hemstad says it’s not uncommon to get calls at this time of year.
“One of the hazards with the snowfall is the snow can fall and it can block vents for furnaces or gas appliances and that prevents the CO from exiting the building kind of thing”
Another call this weekend was the result of a person warming up a vehicle in a garage, allowing carbon monoxide to enter the home.
“And if you leave your car in your garage or even close to your house where your fresh air intake is for your furnace, then that carbon monoxide can make its way into your house and that;’s where it can set off your alarms.”
Deputy Chief Hemstad is urging everyone to get a carbon monoxide alarm along with a smoke alarm.
“Something to take very seriously. Everybody should have a carbon monoxide alarm in their house. The recommendation is to have one on every level of your home and outside of your sleeping area. It’s that colourless odourless gas you don’t even know is accumulating that can kill people.”
He says the symptoms can come on slowly with flu-like symptoms of a headache and nausea.
High doses of carbon monoxide have been fatal when people are sleeping.