Samuel Murray of Baie-Comeau and Frédérique Lambert of Montréal have finished on top of the podium at Racquetball Canada’s National Team Selection Event held this weekend in Vernon.
Twenty-six of Canada’s top racquetball players competed in the tournament at Rosters Sports Club.
Samuel Murray defeated Tim Landeryou of Calgary in Sunday’s final in two games with scores of 15-3, 15-8. Both Murray and Landeryou have won National Team Selection Events in the past with Murray having the most recent win at the selection event held last November. Murray has been active on the International Racquetball Tour (IRT) this season and he used his experience and power in today’s final.
Coby Iwaasa of Lethbridge finished in third place. Iwaasa has been away from the sport for two years and has just returned to Canada in the past month. He was ranked second in Canada at the time he left. His results indicate that he’s still a serious contender.
In the women’s open event, the top four finished in order of their seeding. Montréal’s Fredérique Lambert continued her winning record at Canadian events, proving why she is ranked number one in Canada and second on the Ladies Pro Racquetball Tour (LPRT).
All of the top four women had strong matches throughout the weekend. Jen Saunders and Christine Richardson, both of Winnipeg, have firmly claimed their respective second and third place rankings. Danielle Drury of Saskatoon, repeated her fourth place finish from the last selection event held in February of 2017. This serves notice that she is ready to challenge for a spot on Canada’s teams for international competition.
Results from the Vernon Selection Event will be combined with results from previous national events to select teams that will represent Canada in 2018.
Men’s Open Singles Results
Gold Medal Match
Samuel Murray (Baie-Comeau, QC) defeated Tim Landeryou (Calgary, AB), 15-3, 15-8.
Bronze Medal Match
Coby Iwaasa (Lethbridge, AB) defeated Mike Green (Hamilton, ON), forfeit
Women’s Open Singles Results
Gold Medal Match
Frédérique Lambert (Montréal, QC) defeated Jen Saunders (Winnipeg, MB), 15-6, 15-4.
Bronze Medal Match
Christine Richardson (Winnipeg, MB) defeated Danielle Drury (Saskatoon, SK), 15-9, 15-9.
Men’s Open Singles Final Standings
1. Samuel Murray (Baie-Comeau, QC)
2. Tim Landeryou (Calgary, AB)
3. Coby Iwaasa (Lethbridge, AB)
4. Mike Green (Hamilton, ON)
5. Nicolas Bousquet (Montréal, QC)
6. Lee Connell (Saskatoon, SK)
7. Pedro Castro (Brossard, QC)
8. James Landeryou (Saskatoon, SK)
9. Tanner Prentice (Macrorie, SK)
10. Trevor Webb (Cambridge, ON)
11. Josh Keil (Saskatoon, SK)
12. Kurtis Cullen (Brandon, MB)
13. Tanner Mattson (North Vancouver, BC)
14. Mitch Brayley (Calgary, AB)
15. Anthony Schonberger (New Westminster, BC)
16. Tommy Murray (St-Hubert, QC)
17. Michael Leduc (Montréal, QC)
18. Ian Frattinger (Martensville, SK)
Women’s Open Singles Final Standings
1. Frédérique Lambert (Montréal, QC)
2. Jen Saunders (Winnipeg, MB)
3. Christine Richardson (Winnipeg, MB)
4. Danille Drury (Saskatoon, SK)
5. Michèle Morissette (Baie-Comeau, QC)
6. Valerie Fallu (Candiac, QC)
7. Erin Gaeeraert (Calgary, AB)
8. Cassie Prentice (Macrorie, SK)
Racquetball Canada is the national sport governing body for the sport of Racquetball in Canada. Along with the support of the Government of Canada and many valued partners, Racquetball Canada develops competitive national teams and oversees programs that grow the sport of racquetball in Canada. For more information visit our website.