It was a tricky situation for Vernon Fire-Rescue crews after they were called to a fire in a camper-trailer parked in the empty lot across from the Vernon Superstore on Anderson Way.
Deputy fire chief Scott Hemstad says a wood burning stove added to the unit was left unattended and ignited some nearby items in the trailer on Monday.
“It’s a modified camper-trailer that someone has taken upon themselves to make a livable space, which it’s not really where wood burning stoves are meant to be installed,” says Hemstad.
Hemstad says there was no major damage and the occupant refused help.
He says because it’s a vehicle that a person is living in, normal codes don’t apply.
“It’s kind of a tricky spot for us. From a fire perspective, we can take care of that issue, but in terms of a fire or building code, they don’t really apply because its a vehicle on wheels and it comes more under the Ministry of Transportation’s authority.
Hemstad says the fire crews made sure the fire was out and that it wasn’t going to spread.