(By Kate Bouey)
The cause of a fire that tore through a house in the 3600 block of Sage Avenue in Armstrong last night remains under investigation.
Meanwhile, four adults who lived in the residence have lost almost all of their belongings.
Armstrong-Spallumcheen Ian Cummings said 24 firefighters fought the blaze after being called out at 10:50 p.m.
While it was doused fairly quickly, crews remained at the scene for five hours.
“We were able to get quick action on the fire and extinguish it in short order however there was extensive overhaul required and we did have some issues with a ruptured gas line at the house which required the road to be dug up so that took some time,” said Cummings.
The residents of the house, including the owners and two tenants who lived in a basement suite, were able to get safely out of the house before firefighters arrived, although one man sustained burns to his hand, said Cummings.
The fire chief said damage was extensive, leaving residents with virtually nothing.
“I believe a number of them had relatives who were able to accommodate them. We also had emergency social services come out and assist with provisions for accommodations and clothing and such. Pretty much everything in the structure was lost.”
Although Cummings was back at the scene today, he stressed it was a significant fire and some time will be needed to uncover the cause.