Safety concerns are being raised about a Vernon beach.
Ashley Irving says she was with her kids at Kin Beach Saturday when she stepped on what she thought was a sharp stick, but turned out to be a discarded needle.
“I’m standing right next to my 18 month old little girl and I though, ‘That could have been her.’ I’m so thankful that it wasn’t my kids,” Irving told Global News.
Irving says she will have to get blood tests for several months to make sure she didn’t contract a disease like Hep-C or HIV.
She’s calling on the City and Okanagan Indian Band to work on keeping the beach free of needles.
“I don’t want anybody else to come here and think that they’re safe and the same thing happens, but sometimes, if you don’t make noise, nothing happens.”
The City tells Beach Radio News it won’t be commenting on the incident which it says occurred on the OKIB part of the beach.