City of Vernon officials are confident that an event that occurred at the Aquatic Centre on Saturday afternoon was an isolated incident.
But they’re gratified an alarm system connected with the chlorination unit went off.
Recreation Service Director Doug Ross says a water leak in the mechanical room started it all.
“The water leak was located in the same room where the chlorination system is and because of that and because of the sensitivity of the chlorination alarms, it was triggered.”
Staff and members of the public were ushered out for a few hours while repairs were made.
“As you can imagine we have a lot of water pipes running through this building and so the leak was detected at 3 o’clock and staff followed proper procedures and we were able to get a contractor to come in and had the repair take care of and the building was back open by seven o’clock.”
Ross says checks of the water system go on regularly to try to keep on top of things.
No chlorine leaked and there was no danger.
Gary Lefebvre, the Aquatic Manager, says it served to demonstrate the sensitivity of the safety system and the training of the staff to carry out safety procedures.