A stay of proceedings has been issued for a man accused in an attack at a campsite in Monte Lake, northwest of Vernon.
43 year old Jody Archie York had been charged with aggravated assault after police reported a verbal altercation in August escalated into an assault with a golf club and machete.
RCMP says the victim suffered serious injuries, and was not known by the suspect.
The Crown says after receiving further information, the prosecutor concluded the charge approval standard could no longer be met.
“In these circumstances a stay of proceedings is the appropriate course of action,” says Dan McLaughlin with the BC Prosecution Service.
The Crown does not say what the ‘further information” was.
Media reports say York is a member of the Independent Soliders.
McLaughlin says under the Charge Assessment Guidelines, charges will only be approved or continued where Crown Counsel is satisfied that the evidence gathered by the investigative agency provides a substantial likelihood of conviction and, if so, that a prosecution is required in the public interest.
“A substantial likelihood of conviction exists where Crown Counsel is satisfied there is a strong, solid case of substance to present to the Court.”
The stay was issued in Vernon provincial court Thursday.