The Vernon Winter Carnival Society isn’t ready to leave its current office — but they also don’t like a proposed lease the City is offering them.
The City says the group can stay at its site on 35th Avenue until next June, but only if they agree to several conditions.
Carnival Chair Deb White says they don’t accept the agreement, and will be appearing before council today.
The City has been encouraging the society to find a new home, as it wants to tear down the current building which has safety issues.
City council motion from June 25, 2018:
“THAT Council authorizes the Vernon Winter Carnival Society (WCS) to remain as licensee s at their current location 34A1 35 Avenue for a one year term (June
25, 2019) conditional that:
1. WCS are responsible for all repairs and maintenance to the building;
2. WCS accepts all liability for the building and indemnifies and holds the City harmless for any issue relating to the condition and safe use of the building;
3. WCS continue to actively seek a new location for their operations;
4. WCS will not request funding in relation to maintenance or repairs to the current WCS building from the City of Vernon or the Regional District of North Okanagan;
S. WCS acknowledges that the offer of alternative space provided by the City in June 2018 may not be available in the future;
6. No further extensions to the license agreement will be offered at this location.