With the start of a new year, make a resolution to be better prepared for potential emergencies.
Emergency Management BC (EMBC) urges British Columbians to make a commitment to better prepare themselves and their families for possible emergencies.
Start by building an emergency kit and developing a household plan that individuals and families can practice throughout the year.
A home emergency kit does not take a long time to create and does not need to be expensive. Just follow the basic list below, and remember to store collected supplies in an easy-to-access location:
* First-aid kit
* Battery-powered or hand-crank radio
* Flashlight and extra batteries
* Whistle to signal for help
* Cellphone with charger (inverter or solar charger)
* Cash in small bills
* A local map with a family meeting place identified
* A minimum three-day supply of food and water, but aim for a week to two weeks.
* Garbage bags
* Dust mask
* Seasonal clothing and footwear
* Water (minimum of four litres of water per person, per day)
Make a 2019 New Year’s resolution to prepare for a disaster before it strikes.